Sunday, October 26, 2008

I'd rather let my legs freeze

If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different outcome each time, then the fashion world is certifiable.


I was at Target buying pantyhose (sigh) when I came across an entire aisle devoted to...

Leg warmers.

Really?

I remember thinking I was stylin' when I wore them in elementary school 27 years ago, but now I realize they were one of the most ridiculous fashion trends ever.  And don't we all have the pictures to prove it?  No I will not be posting mine.  It's not so much the fashion as the hair, but that's another story.

Even more disturbing is the fact that these leg warmers (in an endless variety of colors and patterns) were being marketed to adults.  Adults who should know better.  Aren't we supposed to be worked up about avoiding "cankles"?  How would leg warmers help this affliction I wonder?  Or is it just the fashion world's way of saying, "We know you can't put down the doughnuts so just cover up those legs so we don't have to look at them"?

Please, please, please tell me giant bangs aren't next.

6 comments:

Becks said...

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Love it!! Let me tell you.. I was walking to class the other day, and lo and behold, I see a girl in LEG WARMERS!! I almost fell over.. then not 5 mintues later, I see a girl in stirup pants.. my oh my.. they weren't cute when we wore them the first time.. and you won't catch me dead in them this time!!

Tiffany said...

NO WAY--they can't possibly be back. And stir-up pants?? Next thing you know people will be wearing knickers again too. I had the most fabulous purple pair.

Lori said...

Stirup pants? There isn't a person on the planet that looks flattering in those things. Becks, don't you go to FASHION school? You must put a stop to this.

Tiffany, you gotta bust out those knickers 'cuz you know they're coming back!

Becks said...

i know it says fashion school on the front door.. but there are days that i wonder... :)

Cheryl said...

I think it all might be part of the "upcycle" program. Those clothes are still out there and the treehuggers don't want to polute the landfills with them so... they're being "repurposed," "upcycled," "refashioned" and on and on it goes! I see that kind of trend on etsy all the time. I have some ties I'm going to try to "repurpose." LOL

Cheryl said...

I have to agree on the stirrup pants though... the leg warmers aren't too awful on some people. But, for goodness sake, don't take my word for it... anyone who knows me, KNOWS I am NOT the queen of style!!

 
Template by yummylolly.com