Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Old Homestead

My sister put a post on her blog today about finding pictures of our old family home on zillow.com.  Looking at the pictures of the house I grew up in made me nostalgic and brought to mind the long list of things my parents did right.


I'm blessed that I grew up in a home secure in the knowledge of four things:
     1.  My parents love the Lord
     2.  My parents love each other
     3.  My parents love my sisters and I
all of which made it easy to believe...
     4. The Lord loves me

That's rare.  I didn't realize it at the time, but I'm starting to understand now, just how rare that is.  And how much I want that for our kids.

My parents raised three girls on public educator's salaries (sans credit cards), but I didn't grow up feeling like money was tight.  They raised us in 200 square feet less than we're raising our kids in now, but I never felt cramped.  Our home was a safe haven for us and by extension our friends.

My parents just got it.  They knew what was important and marketing campaigns and pressure from other parents wasn't going to drive them off course.  Are we doing that today?  Lord I hope so.  Lord help me to do so.

By the way, it still looks great.  Another family has moved in and it looks like they've been taking care of our house.  I'm so glad because for 18 years this little house, home to a nice little family, was really a palace reigned over by the King.

1 comments:

Mike Boyd said...

Thanks, Lori. It was a beautiful home because we hand three beautiful daughters who we totally loved. God was always the head of our home and he tuly blessed us. We are so proud of the way you all and your wonderful husbands are now raising your children in the same manner. We love you very much.

Love, Daddy

 
Template by yummylolly.com