Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday

Healthy and EASY Breakfast
Ellie Krieger's Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes

Okay.  I have to begin with a disclaimer on this one.  Breakfast is very easy for me because PB cooks breakfast for the kids while I'm out on my morning walk.  He does in fact rock.  This pancake recipe  is one he uses often, but I sometimes make these pancakes for dinner (I love me some brinner!).  (Follow this link to the Food Network website to get the recipe.  I don't feel comfortable posting someone else's recipe.)

The healthy part is that the pancakes are made with whole wheat flour instead of white.  Don't let that freak you out - the pancakes are yummy.  The easy part is that we:
  1. make a huge batch ahead of time
  2. let them cool completely
  3. place them on a cookie sheet (separate each layer with a sheet of wax paper) and freeze them overnight
  4. transfer the frozen pancakes to freezer safe ziploc bags
It's a little bit of work on the front end, but it's worth it when all we have to is heat them up in the microwave when we're ready to eat them.  Think store bought frozen pancakes, but without all the preservatives and other mystery ingredients.

You can find more tips over at Rocks in My Dryer.

1 comments:

Cheryl said...

I LOVE recipes like this. I'll cook ahead hamburger and chicken to put in the freezer to make things easier later.

 
Template by yummylolly.com