Saturday, February 28, 2009

Thank You List Saturday - Hope for my OCD brain

I obsess about things.


A lot.

I enjoy doing research.  Whether it's looking for money saving ideas, recipes or vacation plans, I love digging around to find the best, cheapest or latest and greatest of just about anything.  And I consider it a jackpot if I find something that meets all three criteria.  

I also think it's an important part of my job description as we're working hard not to waste anything around here.

But my planning gets out of hand.  Often.

My latest obsession has been making plans for next school year.  I have researched just about every curriculum known to man, searched for the best deal on each one and done a cost/benefit analysis on just about all of it.

I'm not kidding.

And that's just the curriculum.

PB and I are also investigating co-op or umbrella options for Doc next year.  We attended two parent meetings in February (and dragged my patient mom to both) and will attend two open houses and one additional meeting in March.

Thursday morning I hit rock bottom and by Thursday night my brain was oozing out of my ears.

I went to bed completely trashed by over-thinking every little detail about next year's plans.

I was done.

And then I prayed.

My prayer began as a cry out to God to make it all stop and restore my brain to a functioning level.  He certainly did give me the peace that I desperately needed, but He also pointed out something I hadn't noticed while I was so busy researching.

I had not prayed a bit about next year's plans.  Not about the curriculum and not about additional programming.  Nothing.  Pretty embarrassing, right?

I don't doubt that God designed me to research things, but I'm sure He wants to direct that research so I'm not running around aimlessly looking into things and wasting my time.

"A man's heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps."
Proverbs 16:9

And since He has the master plan for my kids' lives He knows exactly what they need to be ready for it.

So now I'm praying as I sort through our options and I'm thankful for the peace that comes from knowing that the One who knit my children together will guide me to the right decision.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

My hubby is teaching math to a freshman homeschooler from Boy Scouts. He has found it interesting!

Just Me said...

Thanks you for reminding all that it is thru prayer that we are to find the answer of how we are to educate our children. I suffered many years of comdemnation from homeschool mommies because we chose to send our kids to public school. It's a good reminder to all to not judge how anyone is choosing to educate their kids.

Cheryl said...

wonderful post!! God's nudging me towards this in all arenas these days... prayer first!

 
Template by yummylolly.com