Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Christmas Story

I should probably hang my head in shame over the fact that I'm doing a Christmas post in March. Good heavens, we've already sprung ahead and everything.

So, how was your Christmas?

We had big plans for Christmas this year. Two of PB's brothers and their families were visiting from out of the country (Africa and Texas) so there was going to be a big shindig at the in-laws on Christmas day. PB's mom was giddy at the prospect of having 3/4 of her offspring around the table for Christmas so I responded with a healthy dose of denial when Obi Wanda announced on Christmas Eve that she had a sore throat. I figured a good night's sleep and Christmas presents would cure whatever was ailing her.

Or not.

Nothing says Merry Christmas quite like a 102 degree fever. PB's brother, wife and children were scheduled to board a plane home to Africa a mere 48 hours later so we decided the best gift we could give them was to not show up and spread the cooties. It ended up being a relaxing morning as we curled up in our pj's while the kids played with their presents. The only problem was that we hadn't planned on being home for lunch so our Christmas dinner ended up being sandwiches and tomato soup with nary a casserole in sight.

I was so depressed.

I had a hankering for mashed potatoes and stuffing and turkey so I made the recommendation that we eat dinner at Denny's. A recommendation that PB promptly rejected. I had stuffing on the brain and couldn't understand PB's problem. When did he get all uppity on me? PB responded by asking me hadn't I heard the "Christmas at Denny's" song? No, I had not and I'm figuring I'm not alone in this. PB pulled it up on our iTunes and played if for me (yes, we already had it but that's a whole other discussion).

Wanna hear it? Warning, it makes "Cat's in the Cradle" sound like a party song:


Obviously, Denny's was now off the table but I still wanted to get out of the house so we racked our brains to figure out what kind of restaurant would be open on Christmas day.

Fa-Ra-Ra-Ra-Ra-Ra-Ra-Ra-Ra!!!!

In leu of pie we went to Twistee Treat for dessert, tucked the kids in for the night and watched, what else, "A Christmas Story". It was the perfect ending to what our kids have declared, and I have to agree, their favorite Christmas ever.

2 comments:

Becks said...

sounds like a perfect family day <3

Mike Boyd said...

Sounds like a Simpson Christmas!

 
Template by yummylolly.com